The Premier Shipwreck Recovery Company
New England's Leader In Underwater Exploration

Our Projects

For a more in depth look at our current projects, please watch our documentary series, The Port Nicholson Experience. This exclusive look at Sub Sea Research is available for viewing on

Watch Now

Mission and Projects

Our Goals: Humanity, Integrity, Respect
Our goals have always been strongly humanitarian. After the devastation of the 2005 storm Hurricane Katrina, Sub Sea volunteered its efforts to bring relief to the lower parishes of Louisiana. Following the 2010 Haitian earthquake, Sub Sea put its recovery projects on hold to bring supplies to the Haitian people. It is our goal to continue to help our friends in Haiti, along with others in distress. Our interests lie in preserving history and learning more about the remarkably complex ocean that covers 3/4 of our planet. While our salvage efforts are made with the needy, our families and investors in mind, we always work with the utmost respect for the ocean and its many lifeforms, and for those who perished in the wrecks we are now excavating.

SS Port Nicholson
June 15th, 1942 - From the Naval Records: During another trip on "The Triangle Run", the enemy attacked again, this time in the evening at approximately 21:30 June 15. Two ships in the convoy were torpedoed. One was the "PORT NICHOLSON", a freighter, and the other was the U.S. troop ship "CHEROKEE". There were eighty-three survivors from PORT NICHOLSON and twelve from CHEROKEE. NANAIMO picked up seventy-nine of the eighty-three survivors from PORT NICHOLSON. As she did not sink immediately, NANAIMO remained with the ship throughout the night.

The next day a sea boat was sent from the NANAIMO with two of the freighter's officers and five crewman from NANAIMO, one officer and four ratings. These men were Lieutenant Wakely, Leading Seaman; Aubrey Pickles, Signalman; Jack Tedford, Able Seaman; Lorne (Buzz) Horne and an A.S.D.I.C. operator named Pat Ginevin. They went to see if the ship could be salvaged.

The sea boat made its way to PORT NICHOLSON and tied up near her bow. The boat's crew and the two officers from PORT NICHOLSON had to climb about fifteen feet to gain the deck. After the boarding party was aboard the PORT NICHOLSON the boat's party went below decks near the bow of the ship leaving only Jack Tedford above decks. Jack was standing at the ship's side where the sea boat had been secured. NANAIMO signaled, by light, that the ship was sinking by the stern. Jack commented that he had not noticed it as she was going down very gradually. Jack then ran to the hatch and yelled to the others. He commented that some of them got up and some of them did not. The after bulkhead gave-way and the ship went down by her stern very quickly.